Stephen Garton wrote:

> I have used gitso (http://code.google.com/p/gitso/) with a reasonable
> amount of success, for connecting linux and windows machines in all
> configurations (i.e. L->L, L->W, W->L and W->W).
>
> I say reasonable amount of success purely because I don't use it very
> often, but everytime I've needed it it works.
>
> It does require instigating by an end user (i.e. they ask for help)
> which is different to having full access as and when you want it, but
> if you are just supporting your brother, it could be ideal.
>
> If you do want access anytime, then +1 to the ssh option mentioned
> later in the thread to where I have replied from.
>
> Steve Garton
> sheepeatingtaz.co.uk <http://sheepeatingtaz.co.uk>

gitso is good, as is
x11vnc --connect <ip address of supporter>
where the supporter is running a listening VNC viewer.
The good thing about doing it this way is that the supportee can be on a
dynamic IP address (or even if it is static they have no idea what their
address is or how to set up an inbound connection which amounts to the
same thing) You just map port 5500 to your PC on your firewall and run a
listening VNC viewer. The supportee has no black magic to do on their
router.