2009/5/17 Daniel Rhodes-Mumby <daniel.rhodes.mu...@googlemail.com>:
> On Sun, 17 May 2009 08:29:07 +0100, Greg Herdman <gherd...@toucansurf.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I'm really new to the Ubuntu scene; got involved about 6 months ago.
>> Everything has been working fine until a recent update session. An
>> incomplete update was signalled (I 'd just installed ClamTk and PiTiVi a
>> day or so earlier. At first the screen dropped into 'basic' low-res
>> mode. I managed to reset it using the appropriate desktop apppication
>> (forgot it's name!) but the resolution wasn't quite as previously, so I
>> tried to tweak it. Result - totally scrambled screen such that the
>> desktop is unusable.
>>
>> I've been making basic use of Live mode from the installation CD, which
>> works well with everything looking fine. I can access the harddrive,
>> save and retrieve files, read and write removable media and also print.
>> The downsides of Live user mode, however, are substantial, particularly
>> in terms of speed, so I need to get back to my original settings.
>>
>> DSo, my question - I've noted a recent thread that seems to imply that I
>> could reinstall over my current installation which would leave all my
>> files within 'home' intact. Is this so?
>> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) on a desktop.
>>
>> Any ideas - much appreciated.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> I believe the Ubiquity Preserve Home spec was targeted and achieved for Hardy.
>
> If I'm correct in this belief then you can indeed reinstall Hardy (and indeed
> you could upgrade to a more recent version of Ubuntu, although of course this
> is a matter of preference) without damaging the contents of /home, as long as
> you specified a separate partition for it in your original installation.
>
> If you did then you can run preserve /home quite easily (assuming I can
> correctly recall the steps involved in doing so):
>        Run through the Ubuntu installer until you reach the partitioning stage
>        Choose manual partitioning
>        Select the partition with /home on it and choose to use it
>        Choose the correct filesystem, but also choose NOT to format it
>        Change the mountpoint to be /home

I think you only need to do this if the original installation had a
separate partition for home.

If you have a single partition for everything (except maybe swap),
leave the mountpoint as /

>        Setup your other partitions appropriately and finish the installation
> Working from memory, that's the correct (and easy) procedure; it does hang on
> the existence of /home as a separate partition already, though. You could
> work around that by migrating the content to a new partition while preserving
> all the necessary file attributes and then choosing this partition during
> installation, of course.

'Preserve Home' will delete all the existing data on the partition you
select *except /home*. You don't need a separate /home partition.
That's always worked (as long as you choose not to format it :-)

> It's probably best to wait for someone else to confirm the procedure to
> preserve /home before you try, though; whilst I've done it many times, my
> memory isn't always reliable and I'd rather that it wasn't responsible for
> the loss of any of your data.

If in doubt, backup first! Even if not in doubt, it's safer to have a
backup. Then also check that the backup worked and you can restore
from it.

> Daniel
> --
> Humanity is where the falling angel meets the rising ape.

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.