Hi Rob & Neil,
I have no problem accessing my hard disc from Live DVD - I can read and
write everything from the disc once I've set myself up as a new user. As
far as I'm aware, everything is in one partition - in other words, no
partitioning of the hard drive.
If anyone hasn't used Live User from CD/DVD then I can thoroughly
recommend it. It's a more than capable 'get-you-home' solution that
loads up and functions at least as quickly as my old Windows 98SE system
(that I'm using to write this posting). The only significant downside is
that all user-defined aspects have to be reset at EVERY new session.
Printer and internet detection (mine is wired router-based) is
straightforward but e-mail is a bit more fiddly, so I use one of my
other systems. I can read from and write to reovable media, so things
are quite comfortable in that respect.

When I reinstall Ubuntu (8.04) I'm quite concerned that I might lose
data generated by GRAMPS - the family history application - since I've
done quite a bit with it since I downloaded it. Reinstalling GRAMPS
shouldn't be an issue, but I really like to retain the work 've already
input. Although  had downloaded INKSCAPE, I've not done anything
significant with it, so that's not an issue.

Thanks for the support - much appreciated.

Greg