On 22/10/09 08:54, Thomas Ibbotson wrote:
> Alan Bell wrote:
>> Paul Sutton wrote:
>>>
>>> Linux got a mention on the lunch time news,  well it showed tux, and the
>>> google and apple logos, as alternatives,  but didn't say much about em
>>>
>> well it is Microsoft's big day (well it is tomorrow, they seem to have
>> jumped the gun slightly) so it is natural they are talking about it. We
>> too are celebrating the launch of Windows 7 with a special upgrade
>> promotion. http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com/windows-7-upgrade-promotion
>> Next week with the launch of Karmic Koala is the time to talk about
>> Linux, hopefully the BBC will join in the conversation.
>
> Quoting from the website:
> -Spend lots of money for Windows 7 for every computer in your organisation,
> -First you will need to take very careful backups of everything (not
> just files but emails, favourites, settings etc),
> -Format your machine's hard disk and install Windows 7 as a fresh
> installation,
> -Then you'll have to find those drivers for your hardware (if they
> exist) and install them,
> -Re-install all your application software (if it still works on Windows
> 7 and you have the CDs and license keys etc),
> -Activate and register your computer on your network,
> -Copy back all that carefully backed up data and make sure it goes into
> the right places.
>
> It seems to me that you are suggesting that these steps would not be
> necessary with Ubuntu, but if you were to migrate to Ubuntu from Windows
> XP you would still have to perform steps 2,3,5,6?? and 7. With the added
> problems of trying to import your data to new, different programs and
> learning an unfamiliar desktop environment.

Well no it isn't quite the same.

2. When installing Ubuntu on an existing computer does offer to import
the majority of a Windows XP's system settings and your data.

3. It does not require you to format the hdd, it will offer to make
space and repartition the drive for you and run alongside Windows.

5. Most widely used apps are pre-installed on Ubuntu and there is no
digging around for Cds and license keys etc.

6. There is no Activiation or registration required with Ubuntu.

7. See 2.

> I'm all for Ubuntu and FOSS, but this just struck me as a bit dishonest.
>    I'll just go and get my ceramic shield....

It isn't dishonest in the slightest. If you upgrade from Vista to
Windows 7 then you can do an in-situ upgrade. But from XP it is a royal
PITA. That's why Gartner (who tend to be pro MS) even found it will cost
a *lot* to actually do the upgrade.

HTH

Alan