Thomas Ibbotson wrote:

> Quoting from the website:
> -Spend lots of money for Windows 7 for every computer in your organisation,
> -First you will need to take very careful backups of everything (not
> just files but emails, favourites, settings etc),
> -Format your machine's hard disk and install Windows 7 as a fresh
> installation,
> -Then you'll have to find those drivers for your hardware (if they
> exist) and install them,
> -Re-install all your application software (if it still works on Windows
> 7 and you have the CDs and license keys etc),
> -Activate and register your computer on your network,
> -Copy back all that carefully backed up data and make sure it goes into
> the right places.
>
> It seems to me that you are suggesting that these steps would not be
> necessary with Ubuntu, but if you were to migrate to Ubuntu from Windows
> XP you would still have to perform steps 2,3,5,6?? and 7. With the added
> problems of trying to import your data to new, different programs and
> learning an unfamiliar desktop environment.
>
> I'm all for Ubuntu and FOSS, but this just struck me as a bit dishonest.
>   I'll just go and get my ceramic shield....
>
> Tom

I don't think we are suggesting these steps are not necessary (well
apart from the license keys), the point is that it is a disruptive rip
and replace upgrade anyway so you might as well spend the price of a
single license looking at an alternative. For £229 you can get a copy of
Windows 7 and a piece of paper telling you what you are not allowed to
do with it, or you can get a copy of Ubuntu and three hours of on site
training.
It is a little opportunistic, but I don't think it is wrong. In fact up
to yesterday Microsoft were advising people with XP not to upgrade
without expert help. Anyone have a backup of this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Alan.