On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 21:11 +0000, Tim Dobson <li...@tdobson.net> wrote:

> Simon Osborne wrote:
> > Yes. It upgrades libavcodec to a version which is incompatible with
> > gstreamer and VLC, along with other things. It can be fixed by
> > forcing a downgrade on libavcodec to the version supplied with
> > Karmic.
>
> I'm not on karmic yet but this is an interesting point. Currently
> KDEnlive (my preferred video editing suite) can't deal with AAC audio
> by default due to some broken libavcodec package as I understand.
> As my (stupid) video camera outputs h.264 + aac this is somewhat
> frustrating.
>
> Anyway, hopefully this will all get smoothed out! :)
>
> Tim

Well, now Openshot have put a message on the relevant download page:

"WARNING: Our PPA uses a special version of FFmpeg, which does not work
with VLC & Totem, and a few other movie players. This is due to how we
are packaging FFmpeg in our PPA. We are working to fix this, but if you
install via the PPA, you will not be able to run VLC at this time."
http://www.openshotvideo.com/2008/04/ppa-instructions.html

Presumably you can't get Openshot anywhere else, unlike Open Movie
Editor, which is in the repos (but doesn't work for me, alas: no sound).

Rowan