an upgrade advisor is an excellent idea, in fact a hardware testing tool
that scans PCI and USB bus and summarises the level of support for each
item by looking it up on the web would be an excellent tool. Thinking
about it there is no reason why such a tool shouldn't be available on
other operating systems too so that people can get a level of comfort
before switching to Ubuntu

Alan.