Michael G Fletcher wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Gordon <gbpli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to remotely control a machine
>>> not in the same location and not on the same network?
>>>
>>> Ta!
>>>

>> I forgot to mention - the person using this remote computer just about
>> has the ability to send and receive email, type simple letters and
>> browse the internet and that's about it!
>>

> Gitso is your best solution i think, all they need to do on their side
> is download and install it.  Once it's on, they need your IP address
> to "request support" from you.
>
> On your side, you will need to make sure that you have port 5500 open
> if you are using a router or firewall.  install gitso and offer
> support.
>
> I've used it quite a bit and it's very useful.

Thanks.
That raises a couple of other questions.
Firstly, the machine I will be doing the support from is currently
behind a DHCP router and secondly, the router is supplied by the company
that my wife works for and I can't play with it! :-(
Will the Remote Desktop function in 9.10 connect with machines outside
the local network and if so how?