< snip >

> Sounds like either the mythbackend has started up and been unable to use the
> capture cards, or something weird has happened with the backend.
>
> Give mythbackend a restart and try again, if that does work try clearing out
> your capture cards and re-add them to the video source, channels are bound
> to the video source so don't worry about losing the channels.

Thanks for your response. I seem to have solved most of the problem by
doing as you suggest and then I did a re-scan. There have clearly been
some changes to the way menu items are presented since I last played
with the backend and I am not at all clear what to do when I am asked to
chose numbers for some channels. Still, I expect I will work it out
given time.

Norman