On 08/12/2009 12:17, javadayaz wrote:
> looking at various peoples opinion on dlna it appears to be in its
> infancy as there seems to be a lot of problems.
>
> Maybe the easiest solution is the best. Put a pc in the living room
> and connect to the tv....

You can get media streaming devices such as this one for £60 + delivery:
http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=186127

It actually runs Linux (it's a MIPS based CPU) and will play standard
definition video, 720p and 1080p in a variety of formats (H264,
Divx/XVID etc).  I've not got one myself but from what I have been
reading up on it, it's not a bad player.  It appears it will also
connect to Samba/Windows shares or to a uPNP server.  Only thing is it
doesn't have wireless (although there is a kernel module there in the
firmware for a Realtek adaptor, so it might possibly be able to hack it
to work).

Other than that, there are a couple of Bluray players out there (I
believe from LG and Samsung) which will also play media over a network.
The LG BD390 does this and has wifi, but it's nearer to £300 (although
you may be able to get it cheaper online) -
http://www.buyblurayplayers.com/lg-bd390-blu-ray-player-review-3523

Or as you say, put a PC in the front room, ideal if you already have
one.  If not, maybe something like the Acer Aspire Revo which I believe
Alan said he has, which IIRC is about £150 ish, but it doesn't have an
optical drive.

I guess it really depends on what you want to play.  Personally I'm
probably going to go down the PS3 40GB route and get one of those
Hisense boxes for streaming media (I'm currently using the wife's PC
attached to the TV) which will give me Bluray playback on the PS3,
HD-DVD on the XBOX 360 (eventually when I buy a HD-DVD drive cheaply off
eBay) and everything else on the Hisense box.

Rob