On 18/01/10 16:06, Bruno Girin wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 12:03 +0000, Matthew Daubney wrote:
>
>> On 17/01/10 04:08, Bruno Girin wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>

>>> In terms of material, I agree that there's no point in having a slide
>>> deck as trainees will promptly forget the content. Furthermore it
>>> requires a projector, which is more equipment to get hold of. On the
>>> other hand, it is essential to give comprehensive course material,
>>> including exercises, that they can take home and refer to at their
>>> leisure. This can take the form of a CD, the URL of a file to download,
>>> etc. One thing to consider as well is a printout of the core course
>>> material so that they can follow during the course and take notes.
>>>

>> At one point there was a proposal to make a DVD from the screencasts, if
>> we could create a set of screencasts with some kind of leaflet to go
>> with it giving some exercises we could achieve two aims at once.
>>
> I would add to that some training notes, exercises, answers, etc. in the
> form of a text or PDF file. Once people have had any sort of training,
> they will want to put it into practice but may not remember everything
> that was said so would want to refer back to some material. A screencast
> is good but is not always the most practical form when you want to
> quickly search for a particular aspect of the session and you can't
> copy / paste from a screencast. This material could also include things
> like code samples or command line history.
>
> [snip]
>

>>> True but it doesn't have to be huge on day 1. We can test drive the
>>> concept with small sessions in a coffee shop between interested people
>>> bringing their own laptops.
>>>
>>> Bruno Girin
>>>

>> Indeed. It may be best then to create a syllabus for absolute beginners,
>> and then work upwards. I'll be quite happy to run a session at Oggcamp
>> (for those who are planning to attend) to run some real life discussion
>> on this.
>>
> Beginners are not the easiest people to teach to. I would suggest
> starting with some moderately advanced topics like "how to package an
> app for Ubuntu".
I was hoping to avoid this if possible. There is a _lot_ of stuff on
these already, and people who want to learn this know where to look and
are generally happy with whats there. What I wanted to tackle was those
people who are uncomfortable with IRC and following web tutorials and
it's ilk. These people (I believe) will be the really basic beginners. I
was hoping to tackle a little bit of converting people through education
type stuff by running these events as well, but thats a secondary aim.

I know it's more difficult, but I honestly believe this is the more
worthwhile path to follow. Please feel free to argue at me the other way
though :) The more views the better as far as I'm concerned.

-Matt Daubney