Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> On 19/02/10 10:59, Bruno Girin wrote:
> <snip />
>
>> Er... does it means that it comes with MS Excel or with an alternative
>> (such as Open Office)? Because I'm at a loss as to what "a Microsoft
>> version of Excel" is as I wasn't aware of any other version of Excel :-)
>>

> It isn't MSO. Nor is it OpenOffice.org.
>
> They use a product called Softmaker (http://www.softmaker.com/english/).
> Or at least they did when we helped them do their trial in 2007/8...
>
> The computer was running a custom OS built on Java IIRC.
>
> The product is aimed directly at Popey's mum & Daily Mail readers ;-)
>
> Al

Having watched the introductory video, I think this sort of thing would
be ideal for my Mum & Step-Dad who are both computer illiterate.
However as they live so close I think I'd probably build them a PC from
components and support it myself and save them some money.  I could
certainly see the point though for someone say who has relatives who
live say on the other side of the country and don't know anything about
computers who want something simple.

Certainly looks good with a fairly clear interface, but I'm not sure of
their claim of it being a computer for life, especially considering how
quickly things change.

It also says you can buy additional 'latch key subscriptions' from them
for other members of the family, so I wonder if that means you have to
pay an additional £10 a month for each 'latch key'.

Rob