On 25 February 2010 19:19, Dianne Reuby <pramc...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I logged out and back in, and I get icons now, but they're for my
> Documents folder.
>
> I tried rebooting, and still get the same.
>
> Everything seems to be working OK, except that the Desktop folder with a
> few documents and a couple of shortcuts is gone.

Somehow you've toggled the Nautilus setting "Use Home directory as Desktop"

Press Alt-F2 to bring up the Run Application dialogue box, type
gconf-editor and click Run.

Browse to apps/nautilus/preferences and clear the tickbox "
desktop_is_home_dir "

You will have to log out and back in to see the effect.

If you have ubuntu-tweak installed it's also present as a preference in there.

Jonathon