On 26/02/10 14:09, Dianne Reuby wrote:

> No, afraid not. What I don't understand is why I didn't get that "are
> you sure you really want to delete this file" message that comes up
> normally.

Have you searched for the Desktop directory to see it has moved? It can
be quite easy to accidentally drag a directory from one place to another
in Nautilus (the file manager).

I would use the command line to look for it:

* Open "Terminal" in the Applications->Accessories menu
* You will have a prompt something like this:

        dia...@machinename:~$

Type the following:

        find ./ -name "Desktop"

On my machine I get a result very fast, the first line to come back is

./Desktop

which tells me that "Desktop" it is directly under my current directory.

If you still have it somewhere, you might get a result like:

.local/share/Trash/Desktop

or

/Documents/my-secret-folder/Desktop

perhaps. Or some other path.

If you do get a result of any sort you can post it here and someone
should be able to help you move it back to the right place.

It is worth checking if it is still around before re-creating it.

HTH

Alan

--
The Open Learning Centre