** Dianne Reuby <pramc...@yahoo.co.uk> [2010-03-26 19:29]:
> On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 15:04 +0000, Matthew Daubney wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Does anyone have a ZX Spectrum 48k+ kicking around they don't want
> > anymore? I don't mind if it doesn't run up, largley I'm after the case
> > and keyboard.
>
> I think all ours at the museum are working, but I'll ask around tomorrow
> to see if anyone has got one you could use. We often get offers from
> visitors, so there  seem to be plenty still around.
>
> These modern PC thingy's will never take off.
** end quote [Dianne Reuby]

Linux is pretty much the only thing that saves modern PCs for me, Windows just
isn't enjoyable to use, and that's without taking into account that Linux is
more productive and reliable. Computers are so much more fun and useful when
you can make them do what *you* want, instead of what the people who wrote the
software *think* you want! That's what has been lost by modern computers, but
that's partly because they are used by everyone and not just enthusiasts who
want to learn how to make proper use of them.

Of course there was in some ways a lot more in the way of proprietary hardware
and software around, but (probably partly because they were so new and the
hardware simpler) it was much easier to just write a program to do what you
wanted yourself. Then there's all the sharing of code, hardware projects, etc.
through magazine listings and computer clubs.

Darn, now I want to get everything out my retro cupboard and start playing! I
really must visit the museum some time, although I'd likely want to bring
everything home :) Probably as well I don't live closer!!