On 26 May 2010 15:12, Matthew Daubney <m...@daubers.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 14:46 +0100, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 13:51 +0100, Neil Greenwood
>> <neil.greenwood....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > <m...@daubers.co.uk>

>> > The why is because other programs could be trying to update bits of
>> > the disc as gparted tries to move it. It's a bit like trying to change
>> > the wheel on a car that doesn't have the handbrake on - it *might* not
>> > move... Cofion/Regards, Neil.
>>
>> Quite so, but all the program files and associated data are in sda1,
>> which remains mounted. The only things in the partitions that are being
>> moved are the swap space and the user files. The swap space could
>> certainly be called on while one was moving it, but there are special
>> procedures to cope with this, namely making a new swap space where you
>> want it, then somehow setting the machine to switch over from using the
>> old swap space to the new swap space next time it starts up, thus
>> avoiding any overlaps. At least, I assume that is the idea. The user
>> files (My Documents, My Music, etc.) are not updated by anything. The
>> whole essence of this is that one is not talking about unmounting the
>> entire internal hard disk; each partition can be separately mounted and
>> unmounted, hopefully without affecting the others.
>>

> type 'ps axf' in a terminal while you're doing nothing. How many of
> those running processes do you know enough about to guarantee none of
> them won't try and access the partition you're monkeying with?
>
> 1,2? I'd really be surprised if it was all of them. Running from a live
> CD reduces this risk significantly.
>
> Seriously, I believe in the idea of "For every problem that I can think
> of, there are 10 I can't".
>
> -Matt Daubney
>

> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

'lsof' is another fun command - it shows what processes have what files open.
'lsof | grep /home' shows you what files in the home directory are
open.  Surely when the /home filesystem is unmounted, any attempt to
access /home will access the folder /home stored on the root
partition, and not on the /home filesystem?