On 24/07/10 12:34, doug livesey wrote:
> As it's an independent shop I use lots & want to support (support your
> local bookshop!), I've offered to set it up as dual-boot with Ubuntu to
> see if they prefer that, and then to either return it to M$ or convert
> fully to Ubuntu depending on which they prefer.
> My question is, should I go with the 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu?

Hi Doug,

I do not think it will make much difference. But I use 32bit Ubuntu on
all my machines. Earlier experiences with codecs and flash support on
64bit has scared me for life!

There is a school of thought that says, as you only have 1G of ram,
there is no real benefit to using 64bit and, due to the extra length of
all the bytes whizzing around the machine it is actually slower.

Unless you have lots of RAM >4G and/or it's a server I honestly have
found no obvious reason to go 64bit on the desktop.

HTH

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre