On Saturday 24 July 2010 12:57:15 Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> I do not think it will make much difference. But I use 32bit Ubuntu on
> all my machines. Earlier experiences with codecs and flash support on
> 64bit has scared me for life!

I have run 64-bit on my normal workstation since Hardy, and run 32-bit on a
home entertainment machine. There were growing pains with 64-bit Ubuntu,
especially Flash and Java. However, all of those problems have been resolved
since at least Jaunty, and all of them have since been backported to Hardy.
Flash now runs in 32-bit mode even in 64-big Firefox, the Sun Java Firefox
plugin runs natively in 64-bit mode, and you can even get Google Gears 64-bit
from various repos.

In short: 64-bit works fine. Yes, there have been bad experiences, but they're
all sorted now.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices."
   -- Edward R. Murrow