On 03/09/10 09:50, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once again I lost my shutdown function; not only did shutdown vanish
> from my main menu, but when I added the Session Indicator Applet to the
> panel, the shutdown option on this did not work either; only the user
> switcher option worked. Therefore, I had to shutdown by pressing and
> holding the power button. This being the second time this has happened,
> I should like to know, what are the dangers of doing a hard shutdown?
>
> Thanks,
> Rowan
>

> -- ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/

This has happened to me on a couple of occasions, and not sure why. But
I got around a hard shut down, by clicking on switching user, and on the
sign in page, you have the option there in the right hand corner of
restart, or shutting down and other options. At least mine does.

As for the loss of the button, I did sudo aptitude update then sudo
aptitude upgrade, and it seemed to bring the button and options back.

Have no idea if it was the right thing to do, but that worked for me.

John.

--
Ubuntu User #30817