On 26/10/10 22:41, Glen Mehn wrote:
> Do you get to see what happens when the screen is plugged in? i.e,. is
> it stuck before grub or after? I kind of assume you aren't running X on
> the server (stock ubuntu server, right?)
>
> I know of a hosting company who uses mac minis (though I can't think of
> who they are at the moment... grumble...) as a server that sits between
> dedicated machines and virtual servers. Obviously only good for
> low-intensity i/o tasks. You might try to find them to see if there's
> something mac-specific that's going on.
>
> I would easily put £20 on it being a mac thing that has to be disabled
> in the mac prom, but I've no idea how to do that (I don't think that
> apple opens up their firmwares to outside people)
>
> Aha! Here's the company. The short version suggests not using boot camp
> (I'm not sure what else you might use)
>
> http://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/macminicolo_howto.html

Doing some more reading on
http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/296206/headless-mac-mini-server-using-bootcamp/

it looks like a couple of pins need to be connected together with a
resistor on the DVI port.  Details are on the thread a bit further down
(there is a link from the link to the Macnn.com forum but it's a broken
link).  It appears to be something to do with Bootcamp.

Rob