On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 12:24 +0100, Paul Willis wrote:
> I do remember now that some older Mac G4 towers we used (running Mac OS X
> server) had a similar headless problem and plugging the DVI to VGA adapter in
> the back sorted it. I had forgotten about that so it might be the answer as
> the discussions on those links suggest.

Ah, yes. You've reminded me as well. Some time ago, my company operated
a Mac running MacOS 9. It had two special peripherals: a DVI-VGA dongle
to make it boot, and a small device on the power cable. That device had
a USB cable, connected to the same Mac. If the Mac locked up, apparently
detectable by some kind of USB activity, it would cycle the power.

Regards,
Tyler

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein