On 3 November 2010 11:00, Barry Drake <bdr...@crosswire.org> wrote:

> Hi there ....
>
> Just thought others might be interested in my experience of video
> editing.  I tried PiTiVi and was disappointed in the output quality.  No
> matter what options I tried, the result suffered from pattern
> interference introduced during the render.
>
> Kino captures and edits just fine and there is no unwanted interference.
> I am now using Kino to capture and edit but not to render.  I am then
> importing the result into DeViDe which is an excellent GUI that makes a
> DVD iso out of any video file you've got.  This app seems to render very
> well.  I've not been able to get a result like this from any of the
> other offerings so far.  It also has loads of options, and the ability
> to make a quick preview to test options out.
>
> Regards,                Barry Drake.
> ----

Hello Barry,
I have been using PiTiVi recently, after a great course run at Fossbox.  We
used an MP4 container with a DivX codec.  Output of this was great and was
relatively quick to render and is accepted by Vimeo and YouTube.  I really
liked the editing options in PiViTi and found it very easy to use.  We were
using Ubuntu 10.10.

Initially we were going to use Kino, but we had problems with playback of
the video camera files in Kino.  Otherwise Kino looks a good project too.

I guess there are problems due to the hit and miss codec support across all
operating systems and devices.

I haven't found time to look at OpenShot yet, but that looks interesting
too.

Thanks
---
John Stevenson