On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:10:48 +0000, Alan Pope <a...@popey.com> wrote:

> On 26 November 2010 09:04, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berke...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Every time I start my laptop, it goes "gronk... gronk, gronk,
> > gronk... gronk, gronk, gronk," and flashes the light on the CD drive
> > a few times.
>
> Does it make the noise if you leave the CD-ROM tray ejected?

Nope. It is silent in booting, and, I think, faster. If I then close the
CD tray, while the machine is still running, it gronks once. So the
gronking noise is definitely coming from the CD drive. This was my
original assumption when I started thinking about it, a couple of days
ago, which is why I tried changing the boot order, hoping to skip what I
assumed was a futile, time-wasting and noisy attempt to boot from CD at
every start-up. But since the symptom was unchanged by this, I became a
little confused and began to wonder whether it was the hard drive that
was making the noise, which obviously it is not (I can well believe that
if a hard drive made that sort of noise, it would be close to kaput!)

I wonder whether there is some more radical way of skipping the CD stage
when starting up, since merely swapping 'boot from hard drive' and 'boot
from CD' in the 1 and 2 positions in the boot order doesn't seem to do
it? Or is the machine merely 'initialising' the CD drive, something that
the hardware has to do regardless of boot requirements? I think it has
always made this noise and I have only just begun to be irritated by it.
I can see I could eliminate it by removing the CD tray altogether, but
this is not a very good solution.