On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 13:14 +0000, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
> Nope. It is silent in booting, and, I think, faster. If I then close the
> CD tray, while the machine is still running, it gronks once.

Most likely your BIOS probes the drive at boot-up, even if you don't
have it in the boot order. That's normal, and I doubt you can disable
it.

The sound may indicate a hardware issue with the drive, however.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"... jingoism, racism, fear, religious fundamentalism: these are the
ways of appealing to people if you’re trying to organize a mass base