On 13/06/11 17:27, Philip Newborough wrote:
Hello Peeps

I have a Dell Studio 540 system with integrated Intel i915(?) graphics
controller. The system works well, but I am wondering if it would
benefit from an upgrade? I am looking at purchasing an NVIDIA card,
but I am somewhat lost as to which one. I am not too bothered about it
being the best on the market, I am not a gamer, but I would like it to
perform well at HD media playback and possibly recording some
screencasts.

Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
  -- Philip

Probably the Geforce 210, you can get one here for just under £24 plus delivery from ebuyer.com:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/240886

(Also includes a Street Fighter 4 download voucher, although I expect it's probably not much use, but you could always pass it on to someone who has Windows and plays games).

It should be well supported with the proprietary NVidia driver and it supports VDPAU for HD video acceleration in mplayer and MythTV.

Actually I didn't realise they were so cheap now, might pick one up for the kids PC.

Rob