On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Alan Pope <a...@popey.com> wrote:
> On 13 June 2011 17:27, Philip Newborough <corenomi...@corenominal.org> wrote:
>> I am not a gamer, but I would like it to
>> perform well at HD media playback and possibly recording some
>> screencasts.
>>

> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/232853
>
> Is the one I recently bought. I previously ran Ubuntu Natty perfectly
> well on a 7900GT. I too am "not a gamer" but do play Portal 2,
> Minecraft and a few others. Basically any nVidia card you can buy
> these days will eat your onboard Intel for breakfast.
>
> Assuming you use the non-free driver or the unsupported nouveau
> experimental 3d one.

I have tried the onboard Intel 4500MHD and it is generally fine when
playing back most HD content, either x264 or webm. Admittedly, the
video content is decoded by the CPU, so in that case it's a
combination of CPU + GPU.
For your specific onboard graphics card, I believe that you are on the
limits of what the hardware can do and what the current driver offers.
If you have Ubuntu 11.04, run
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
to verify the state of the driver you are using.

For the screencasts, a good graphics card is not a requirement. The
capturing of the frames is mostly a CPU task.

Therefore, you can get away with an entry level graphics card from
AMD/ATI or NVidia, especially if your budget is around £30-40.
Phoronix, http://www.phoronix.com/ does a good job benchmarking
graphics cards on Linux.

Simos