On 13/06/11 18:11, Rob Beard wrote:
On 13/06/11 17:27, Philip Newborough wrote:
Hello Peeps

I have a Dell Studio 540 system with integrated Intel i915(?) graphics
controller. The system works well, but I am wondering if it would
benefit from an upgrade? I am looking at purchasing an NVIDIA card,
but I am somewhat lost as to which one. I am not too bothered about it
being the best on the market, I am not a gamer, but I would like it to
perform well at HD media playback and possibly recording some
screencasts.

Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
  -- Philip

Rob's suggestion sounds good.

For the record, I'm not a gamer either, but use an NVIDIA 8600GT with two monitors on a twinview set up. I had quite a few problems setting it up, but eventually got it working with the proprietary drivers and a lot of fiddling. I'm happy to give you a few pointers, but it may not be the best choice for a straight forward set up. It seems other cards work much easier out of the box. It does work well with HD media.

All the best,

Tim