Ronnie Tucker wrote:
How about a site/page where people who have Ubuntu installed could go
for help. This site/page would have volunteers logged in and waiting for
folks needing help. When the person needing help types something into a
text box on the page, or picks a problem from a list, the volunteers who
are all logged in would get an audible ping. First one to click a big
'I'll help!' button gets to help the person. The click idea (rather than
being assigned a person) is that if someone wanted help with servers
then I wouldn't click as I'm clueless about servers. Anyway, the first
thing the helper would do is guide the person (in text chat) on how to
enable remote access. Once that's done the helper can text chat while
visually showing the person how to do whatever it is they need help with.

Taking it a step further could be that the helper could Skype the person
(if available on both ends), or have the site SMS (text) volunteers to
say that there's someone needing help, but no helpers logged in. There
are Android/iPhone apps that allow receiving 'texts' through data, so it
wouldn't cost anything to send the texts (in theory).

I'd certainly stay logged into the page and help folks.

This sounds a lot like IRC but without the peer review.

Either way, I think a current problem at the minute is the amount of places there are to go for help with Ubuntu - I'm not convinced yet more are needed.

--
Avi