On 26/09/11 22:29, James Thomas wrote:

On Sep 26, 2011 10:18 PM, "Bruno Girin" <brunogi...@gmail.com <mailto:brunogi...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> On 26/09/11 21:35, Matthew Daubney wrote:
>>
>> On 26 September 2011 21:17, Alan Pope<a...@popey.com <mailto:a...@popey.com>> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Ahh, SoHo server... a perennial "want" of many (including myself).
>>
>> I'm getting so annoyed by this being missing it's starting to become an itch :(
>>
>>> I'll refer you to this spec:-
>>>
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuEasyBusinessServer
>>
>> Ah, lovely. I agreed with it largely until this....
>> "The interface will be web based"
>> And then I wanted to curl up in the foetal position and cry.
>>
>> BEWARE RANT AHOY!
>>
>> <rant>
>> Why do people always want these things web based? I'd much rather
>> prefer something that works simply in a nice easy gui that I could
>> VNC/whatever into. In order to make things like this web based, you
>> either have to lose some flexibility and/or can make it really hard to
>> report back to the user what actually is going on. I've never really
>> found a web based configuration gui I liked (and I write them for
>> work).
>
> Well the main benefit of a web based UI is that you don't need all the desktop GUI libraries on the server, which means that the server stays a server and can be a fairly lean machine that doesn't burn CPU to paint a desktop (important for a small office where running a powerful server 24x7 can be prohibitively expensive and/or noisy). And considering the size and complexity of GUI code these days, adding a GUI to a server is likely to increase the potential for bug several folds.
>
> I hear what you say about web front-ends but balancing the pros and cons, I would still go for a web front-end, mainly to keep the server lightweight. This doesn't preclude a standard GUI front-end on client machines though.
>
> Bruno

Could you not administer a server with a client on a desktop elsewhere?
That way you could keep the server lean and you could design it as such that it could be installed on any OS desktop opening a more comfortable route for windows / apple users?

You could. But you then have to distribute the GUI to all clients so you might as well have a web front-end. One doesn't preclude the other though.

Bruno