On 27 September 2011 11:38, Dave Morley <davm...@davmor2.co.uk> wrote:
<snip more of me ranting>

> Matt I still think a full blown desktop is a faff.  If you're not in the
> office and need to access the box forwarding x over a hotel network is
> not going to be fun in any shape or form.

Simple question: How many average users do you expect would do this?

<snip ncurses stuff>

> They have wordpress/drupal/wiki style web pages that they will care
> about the most which is ermm web based admin and it's this that will
> have the most changes applied to it.

None of these things have been raised as things that would be
installed on this box. I'd hesitate to do so simply because there are
web services that provide these things for free that would do the
security for them and not require any port forwarding setup on a
router. I see a SOHO server as providing the following (in various
fashions)

* LDAP auth stuff
* Maybe calendering
* Computer control options on a workgroup/per user scale (you laugh,
I'm asked for this regularly)
* Maybe some NAS functions (very limited in scope, NAS type things
should be dedicated boxes)
* DHCP/DNS (again in a limited scope)

Yes you could provide other things, but that is what I see as a base
set of functionality based on what people have asked me for in the
past. If you start saying "Yes but you could provide this, that and
the other too" you end up trying to do many things at once, and will
end up doing nothing particularly well.

> For the SOHO user this is a box that sits in the corner and does what is
> required of it with the minimum of fuss or admin.

First you need to define what is "required" which was the original
question, which has ended up in a debate about how best to let users
configure the box!

-Matt Daubney