>  There's no doubt that Unity has split the Ubuntu userbase considerably

Hey I got upset when the buttons moved from right to left!

I've tried other distros but generally find there's something that needs
fiddling to get it work whereas Ubuntu seems to set up all the stuff I want to
do more or less out of box.

For that reason I've stuck with Ubuntu and currently have a plethora of
different desktops installed regularly changing between them because I'm
fickle! No real winner at the moment as far as I'm concerned.

If people want to stay with Gnome 2 then why not 10.04 - it's supported until
2013. Or the install Gnome fall back package in 11.10 which gives a desktop
approximating Gnome 2.

GeorgeĀ