On 03/12/11 04:15, Liam Proven wrote:
On 2 December 2011 11:30, Simon Greenwood<sfgreenw...@gmail.com>  wrote:
For my 2p worth, I'm happy with Unity as I like the paradigm of the GUI,
having returned to Linux after many years of OS X.
I think it is easier if you have Mac experience. If all someone knows
is Windows, they're lost.

The only issues I see
within Ubuntu are Compiz as a CPU hog
Dunno what's hogging the CPU but Oneiric takes literally (I've timed it) up to 6 mins to boot on my 4 GB Lenovo and almost as long to shut down and is sluggish in use. For several more minutes after logging in, the CPU is going hell-for-leather. Not to mention the freezing and crashing in use. It's a bog standard intel chipset that's a few years old, I don't get it! On the same laptop, Bodhi, with 3.0 kernel, boots and shuts down in seconds without the crashing and freezing on FF and LO and CPU drops down as soon as login is complete. On my barebone ATI 64-bit PC I use for media (it serves files and therefore has a static IP), Oneiric clobbers the dns config on every reboot and the network runs with a top speed of 40-50 mbps when it's normally capable of at least 350 mbps. Networking is also very slow on the Lenovo.

I don't like to whine, I think Ubuntu's a great project - but it's currently unuseable for me on any of my personal computers/laptops - the ones at Fossbox have Natty on production machines and Oneiric on the training laptops (where it installs OK and the dynamic networking is working, but still does crash a lot).

The crashing is upsetting our non-techie users too and damping their enthusiasm for Ubuntu, which is a shame.

I just hope that 12.04 prioritises stabilising the *&@"!!!! thing and soft pedals on further innovation until Unity is stable on mainstream PCs and laptops.

Paula