On Mar 18, 2012 1:15 PM, "Barry Drake" <ubuntu-advertis...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi folk ....  sorry for the off topic.  Please reply off list.  My wife
came home from a jumble sale with an amazing game and asked me if I could
find a way of running it for the grandkids.  It needs a maximum of Windows
95.  It won't run under XP, Win 7 or Wine.

You could try DOSBOX.

> It is supposed to be runnable under dos, so I tried making a spare drive
partition bootable to dos 6.22.  It won't install because it needs a
language file (part of Win 95?).  Then I tried installing Win 95 on the
same 1.6Gb partition.  It installed just fine, but won't boot because of
'lack of RAM'.  It evidently can't see the ram in the same way Windows 7
can.

Back then RAM was managed differently. You would probably need to mess
around sorting out hire much RAM was available as EMS and how much as XMS,
etc. Not fun.