On 18 March 2012 13:15, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertis...@gmx.com> wrote:
> Hi folk ....  sorry for the off topic.  Please reply off list.  My wife came
> home from a jumble sale with an amazing game and asked me if I could find a
> way of running it for the grandkids.  It needs a maximum of Windows 95.  It
> won't run under XP, Win 7 or Wine.  It is supposed to be runnable under dos,
> so I tried making a spare drive partition bootable to dos 6.22.  It won't
> install because it needs a language file (part of Win 95?).  Then I tried
> installing Win 95 on the same 1.6Gb partition.  It installed just fine, but
> won't boot because of 'lack of RAM'.  It evidently can't see the ram in the
> same way Windows 7 can.
>
> OK - I ought to throw the disk away and forget about it, but I'm really
> really curious.

What's the game & what are the system requirements?

Win95 can't handle more than 512MB of RAM, IIRC. If you use a
HIMEM.SYS and (if nmecessary) EMM386.EXE from a newer version of
Win9x, you might be able to get around this. If you download a Windows
98 boot floppy from www.bootdisk.com and extract just those files, put
'em into (say) a C:\DOS directory and amend CONFIG.SYS appropriately,
you'll probably get it working.

If you don't know how to do that, well, sorry, but this is the wrong
list to ask on!

Failing that, try Windows 98SE or Windows ME. They should cope with
newer, higher-spec hardware just fine - and anything that runs on Win
95 should be fine on Win 98SE and possibly Win ME as well.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884