Hi!

Just a quick bit of news...

I teach in adult education in North Tyneside, and last year I managed to talk my manager round to the idea of putting on a beginners course in Ubuntu within the borough. It means spending scarce funding on what is a fairly 'off the beam' topic, when the usual practice is to play safe and put on the usual 'Intro to MS Windows' material. He was a bit sceptical about recruitment for it, but let it go ahead anyway.

Happily, we got 11 adults signing up for the course just last Thursday, which is a big success by current standards. I've got to say I did do a lot of evangelising amongst my current students, so it wasn't all accidental, but even so I wasn't expecting such a good turn out.

We're also having to run the course in rather 'experimental' circumstances. The powers-that-be wouldn't let me install Ubuntu to their PC HDDs, so we're having to run Ubuntu from bootable memory sticks. Works pretty much OK though, and the students can (of course) have the same experience at home if they wish.

This is very much a beginners (level 1) course, taught by someone (me) who was trained ' the MS way', but has converted to the FOSS agenda over the years. Practical experience is the thing that makes people convinced about software though, so I think having 10 weekly sessions with Ubuntu should produce a positive outcome!
--
Beatrix E. Groves
BA Hons (Educ) LCGI MAPTT MIFL QTLS

Random Quote of the Day (chosen by my computer) ------------->

"In conventional education the student is required to adjust himself
to an established curriculum; in adult education the curriculum is
built around the students needs and interests. Every adult person
finds himself in specific situations with respect to his work, his recreation, his family-life, his community-life, et cetera situations which call for adjustments. Adult education begins at this point."
(from 'The Meaning of Adult Education' by Eduard C. Lindeman, 1926)