Hi Alan!

I'm really pleased that you like the the new course concept. I'm going to try to keep on plugging away for it to become a regular feature on North Tyneside's curriculum.

I actually installed 10.10 (staying clear of Unity just for the moment until all the controversy dies down a little) onto the 4GB sticks using the Windows 'Universal USB installer'. Works like a dream! Students plug in the stick, switch on the PC... and hey presto! Later when we upgrade to a more recent LTS version we can just reformat the sticks.

With a small persistent file allocated for storage the students can play with the system and keep their changes from week to week. The PCs have just 1GB RAM (which put paid to the idea of using VirtualBox), but Ubuntu seems to run speedily using this unorthodox approach.

I'll stay in touch if that's OK? If this is a success it might be possible to expand the curriculum to other boroughs across Tyneside. And then... who knows? My policy has been: show 'em how easy and fun it is, tell 'em it's free, and they'll never want Windows again.

Any ideas that might contribute to keeping this going... then let me know. I'm the only tutor in adult ed' doing this sort of thing up here, and I could do with all the help I can get :-)

Ciao!