On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 16:14 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone would like to recommend any particular USB
> dongle internet hardware/services in the UK?  I'm expecting to use it
> quite a bit for short periods, but only in the UK.  Obviously it needs
> to be usable with Ubuntu!
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

Adam,
re your request for recommended service provider as well as the
hardware... [this is my own experience]

I started with and have stuck with "3".
During 10.04 days their supplied dongle worked well.

I have since been upgraded in both GByte allowance and supplied dongle.

Verdict:
- the *original* dongle was good with bog standard 10.04.
- the *current* dongle *is* good with 12.04 [as in -out of the box]

Be wary though, the original won't connect on 12.04, the latest won't
work on 10.04 [kernel drivers difference I think].

If you are on 12.04 ensure [if you go with "3" as your service], that
the dongle is the E367 - if so - no probs... works out of the box.

Overall - whichever of the two I used [whether at home or travelling
around] I never had any difficulty getting a reliable & fast [enough]
connection.

[No - I do not work for "3" and have no reason to promote them - other
than the above facts].

Good luck whatever your choice.

--
Cheers,