On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 18:11:38 +0100
Gareth France <gareth.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

> This machine was bought because it was buy now pay next year. The
> alternative was watch my old system die of old age and do without! My
> choices were limited.

Interesting thread. I buy recycled electronics where I can for pale
green reasons, and because my use need are simple, and I seem to have
had good luck.

Laptop: Lenovo thinkpad X200s around £130 off the well known auction
site. Runs 12.04 really well, manages Firefox with a dozen tabs open,
LibreOffice with large files loaded and a remote desktop connection to
work desktop (I use rdesktop, remmina seems broken). I get 4 hours on
battery with wifi. A student asked if it was 'the new Mac' the other
week because Unity does look a bit cool. 4Gb ram. No chance on HDMI
though.

PC: ancient Xeon dual core HP workstation with a new Nvidia card of
modest spec, cost just under £200 including the card. 4 Gb ram, seems
to just run everything. I'm actually using IceWM of all things on this
because I like tiled windows (3 by 3) on the big monitor. The HP case is
huge and can be opened easily.