What might be possible is that there's some kind of clock management going on that processor that works in Windows but not in Linux. I've had machines like that in the past and especially with the i3 there are a number of desktop and mobile variants and without looking, you may have a low end laptop variant. Looking at /proc/cpuinfo or System Monitor will give you an idea of what it thinks it is. Overclocking it might work but I'm sure you can do better even for their price.

I do have to say that, as nice as some of their machines look, Packard Bell is a budget line and as was said many years ago, the name evokes two classic American names while having none of their quality.
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"

Funny you should say that, another friend has bought a Dell recently which I'm pretty sure matches the computing power of the starship Enterprise! It has some sort of boost technology that allows it to up the clock speed for short periods. In windows it works great, but in Ubuntu opening a Nautilus window is enough to make it overheat and shut down! I've installed frequency scaling and it now runs hot but works. I have been meaning to bring this up on here and see what people's opinion is of it.

This machine was bought because it was buy now pay next year. The alternative was watch my old system die of old age and do without! My choices were limited.