I'd recommend a fresh install really. Customise the iso a bit. There's
also a dpkg command to save a list of everything you've got installed
now and then you can work backwards from this text file and install only
what you had (plus or minus package changes through versions). This
saves time stripping out unnecessary stuff later on - but you may be
keen to do this anyway since you're looking to keep your server nice and
efficient.
If i was to offer some really good advice, i'd say stick with 10.04 for
now because it's very stable and runs a treat - compile a nice fresh
custom 3.5/3.6 kernel for it though to take advantage of the mountain of
changes to the kernel since lucid, with the added bonus of extra
efficiency and minor cpu optimisations.