On 4 February 2013 14:42, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/02/13 14:31, Mark Einon wrote:
>>
>> I'm really surprised that this driver is not supported in your kernel
>> - what version do you have? (run '$> uname -a' on the command line to
>> find out).
>>
>> I think it's been in since 3.0, and available with compat-wireless from
>> 2.6.30.
>>
>> The rt2860.bin file is also available in the linux-firmware ubuntu
>> package.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark
>>

> The machine concerned is now on 3.5.0-22 because all my messing about has
> broken the Ethernet Controller settings in 3.5.0-23, so I have reverted to
> the previous kernel. I have linux-firmware installed by default. Maybe I
> should install linux-firmware-nonfree as well?

I'm suspecting this isn't a kernel or firmware issue, but one of the
Ubuntu userland/unity things going a bit awry (which I can't be much
help on, unfortunately).

linux-firmware has the firmware you need, to check run:

$> dpkg -S  /lib/firmware/rt2860.bin
linux-firmware: /lib/firmware/rt2860.bin
$> dpkg -L linux-firmware | grep rt2860 | xargs file
/lib/firmware/rt2860.bin: data

then also run (and post the result) of:

$> lshw -C network (as Colin suggests)

and