On 05/02/13 11:32, Mark Einon wrote:
It appears that the chip you have is quite new,
and is only supported for newer kernels - for some reason I had it in
my head that the laptop was quite old. As you have a 2.5.0 kernel, I
assume you're on 12.04 - so I think this may help, short of compiling
a newer kernel:

or, looks like the same post:

http://droid-hive.com/index.php?/topic/1272-how-to-install-ralink-rt3290-wireless-drivers-on-ubuntu-1204/

Cheers,

Mark

No, the machine is running 12.10, but I downgraded the kernel to 3.5.0-22 because I broke 3.5.0-23's Ethernet interface somehow with my tinkering. So, before proceeding with your suggestion, I decided to reinstall 3.5.0-23 and see if it worked. And when I restarted with 3.5.0-23, I found I'd lost the Ethernet connection again. Really, I need to fix that first.