On 7 February 2013 10:31, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ..
> On 7 February 2013 10:17, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ..
>> Thanks Alan. I think the thing that gets to me is that aside from whatever
>> I may choose to run on it I expect a machine I paid £300 for to run properly
>> to begin with. None of these solutions address the problem. They more sort
>> of side step it. I doubt I'm going to find the problem, I'll just have to
>> avoid Packard Bell next time I upgrade.
>>

> In all honesty, that is the place to start. Packard Bell machines are built
> to a price, and it's fairly likely that they need OS-based accelerators to
> work properly. I'm not familiar with that processor but there are probably
> features that aren't supported by Linux and require Windows-native software,
> and the GPU will be integrated and underpowered. I've had similar problems
> in the past with more expensive machines and have since learned my lesson.

The guy is not talking about just not getting the ultimate out of the
machine, he has problems such as "tonight it ground to a halt, the
hard drive access light went mad and the mouse stopped moving. Then it
moved in jerks and a variety of windows greyed out and came back again
over and over."  That is a software problem of some sort.  Something
is gobbling up his processor or/and his RAM.

Colin