norman silverstone wrote:
> The fog is beginning to clear. By the look of things Windows 7 is on
> the 500GB drive and Xubuntu is on the 250GB drive. Why did this
> happen? I always thought that when making a dual install the Ubuntu
> OS went on to the same drive as Windows and this is what I want -
> operating systems on one drive each in its own partition and the
> other drive for storing data and so on. This is how it was before I
> started the new install, Windows XP Pro and Xubuntu 12.04 on the 500
> GB drive.

This doesn't sound like such a crazy default, either way the installer
does tell you what it intends to do with partitions and the like
before it writes to them.

> I realise that I have lost some data but most of it was backed up so
> that can be recovered but, how do I reinstall Xubuntu 13.04 so that
> it is on the 500GB drive and the two operating systems and their
> application in separate partitions?

You can re-run the installer and this time, at the partitioning stage,
instruct it to do that. More technically involvedly, you could rejig
the partitions on the 500G and copy the Linux partition over, then
repair Grub. The latter would preserve the current state of the
install.

--
Avi