On 9 May 2013 12:14, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have anything 500gb in size to do a full backup onto and I'm not
> comfortable handing out my business' data at all.

You can use something like clonezilla to do the backup.  This backs up
only the used portion of the disc and also compresses it so that you
will not need anything like 500GB (assuming you have not got vast
amounts of data).  I think you mentioned that you had a 40GB (or
similar) disk that you had the data on in the first place, this should
be plenty large enough for the clonezilla backup.

It may be, however, that you only need to backup your home directory
in which case you need even less space.  You can then safely clear
that out before sending the disk back.

In fact I would recommend that you do both the above.  Make sure that
you can recover the data from your home directory backup before you
clear it.

You could also consider encrypting your home directory [1] in which
case you can just leave the data there, unless you think it is so
sensitive that someone would want to spend a very large amount of time
trying to crack your password to extract the data.  Back it up first
however.

Probably the cheapest way to get some additional backup space is to
buy a disk from ebay along with an external USB caddy to put it in.
You should be able to get something like a 350GB disk and a caddy for
£25 or thereabouts.  If you have an old desktop machine then even
cheaper is to get just a disk off ebay and add that in to the desktop
machine.

I have to agree with others that have posted that you should in fact
have multiple backups if the data is important.  A disk can go up in
smoke (metaphorically or literally) at any time, and the internet is
full of requests for help from those who have had a single backup and
discovered when they need it that the backup is not recoverable for
some reason.

Colin

[1]
http://www.howtogeek.com/116032/how-to-encrypt-your-home-folder-after-installing-ubuntu/