On 21/08/13 17:45, Paul White wrote:
On 21/08/13 16:59, Gareth France wrote:

On the whole I have stopped posting to this group since there are a number of people who are obviously on pedestals above us lowly minions. Not so long back after starting a thread I was shot down in an unforgivably harsh manner by people who made assumptions about me based on absolutely no evidence and proceeded to trample all over my opinion and my self esteem.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, not everyone is an expert, not everyone understands things that are obvious to you. Be careful how you respond as we are supposed to be wanting to encourage mass adoption and as many new users as possible. Insulting them, depressing them, making them feel small, they will only leave.

That unfortunately applies to many hobbies and interests where 'experts', whether 'real' or 'armchair', are resident on forums and mailing lists.

When it comes to IT related matters, whether Windows or Linux based, I have always considered myself to be an enthusiastic amateur. In fact I'm quite proud of that bearing in mind that even pocket calculators didn't exist when I was at school let alone PCs!
Very true. much in the same way as bossy boots who could never be managers in real life always find their way to the top in charity committees and proceed to make everyone's life a misery just because they can.