On 21/08/13 22:02, Gareth France wrote:
> On 21/08/13 21:59, Dave Walker wrote:
>> Gareth, I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience.  I haven't
>> looked back at the thread, but please be assured that isn't the spirit
>> of this mailing list.  Please do stay around :)
>>
>> On 21 August 2013 21:16, Gareth France
>> <gareth.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 21/08/13 17:45, Paul White wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>> Very true. much in the same way as bossy boots who could never be
>>> managers
>>> in real life always find their way to the top in charity committees and
>>> proceed to make everyone's life a misery just because they can.
>> Why else would someone choose to be a manager, without these perks?
>>
> It's not just here. I have seen this in other online forums. It seems
> that when you require the help the most is when certain individuals have
> the least patience. I shall continue to lurk but I'm afraid that my
> enthusiasm for engaging in conversation is not what it once was.

I read this list most days, and when I take into account that tone of
voice is very hard to get over in text form I have found most people to
be kind and helpful 99% of the time, of course we all have bad days ;)
everyone here has taught me so much and it is only recently that I have
felt confidant enough in my own abilities to help answer questions
(bearing in mind that most still fall beyond my comfort zone).
I hope no-one is ever put off asking a question no matter how trivial as
that is how I learn, and if the 'experts' feel any question is beneath
their level, the please leave it to us enthusiastic amateurs and correct
us when we go astray of if there is an easier / better / safer method of
getting the desired result. I feel this is the way forward and it
benefits all on this list, freeing up the 'experts' time so they can be
more productive and new users get help at their level, safe in the
knowledge that any completely wrong answers will be pointed out within a
reasonable time.

If anyone disagrees with this then I will not take any offence at being
told why I am mistaken.

Thanks again to *all* on this list for all the help advice given (not
just to me) over the years, without you all I am almost ashamed to say I
would probably still be a windoze user and never have seen the light ;))

regards

Pete Smout