On 17 January 2015 at 22:28, Gareth France
<gareth.fra...@cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:

>> I don't use Thunderbird, but googling for
>> thunderbird threaded view
>> suggests that View > Sort by > Threaded  may be it.
>>
>> Similarly I would have thought that googling for
>> email inline reply
>> would have quickly found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>> which explains.  Though you can get a big clue from noting the way I
>> have been replying, inserting it inline at appropriate point(s) so
>> that it is easy for a reader to see what I am replying to.
>

> Apologies, I find these days that firstly I don't explore either hardware or
> software like I used to when I was 14. There are so many things I don't know
> how to do or have time to do any more. And secondly I'm finding my way of
> working is becoming more and more antiquated, I can program but it seems
> everyone else puts me to shame as I still program as if I'm using Qbasic! As
> for inline posting it just seems like a lot more effort and an order of
> magnitude slower to delete the bits that aren't needed and spread my reply
> out over umpteen different locations in the mail. I'm just a bit of a
> dinosaur.

It may take you a little more time replying but it saves time for
those reading your questions.  Remember it is you asking for help so
you should do everything you can to make life easier for those you are
asking for help (who are volunteers remember).

> I've given up with the keyboard layout. I've lost the link to the bug again
> and the version on my machine is Installed: 1.5.8-2ubuntu2. I'll just put up
> with it until it fixes itself on an update.

So you have lost the email I sent 1 hour before you posted the reply above?
In the threaded view it should be in the thread a couple of emails up.
Here it is again.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+source/ibus/+bug/1240198

Also if that is the version of ibus then I deduce you are running
Ubuntu 14.10, whereas the new ibus is for 14.04, so it won't help
anyway.  I don't know, but I suspect it may not be back ported for
14.10 as that will be superseded in a few months anyway.

> The threaded view is a great improvement though. Thanks.

I am glad something useful has been accomplished :)

Colin