Is it just me or have Canonical chosen a bunch of cowboys to ship the first phone? After the initial server issues causing problems for buyers I managed to lay my hands on one.

Shortly after someone mentioned that the free case being offered to early adopters did not show on their invoice and so they would not be getting it. I contacted them right away to check mine and was told that I would not be getting one as only the first buyers of the day would. I had to stand my ground and explain that after pressing refresh over and over for 1 hour + I could only have been one of the first buyers. They confirmed that indeed yes I would be getting the case. The date was confirmed as within the first fortnight of March.

Having heard nothing I contacted them a few days ago to be told that it would not be shipping for a while yet, no date given. Today I contacted again as my 1990s style backup phone is driving me insane and was told that some have shipped but mine is not one of them, I would be emailed when it was sent. Fair enough except I arrived home to find it waiting for me! Sans case!!

Contacting them again to complain they still insist it will be sent out later this week (the phone, with the case). Seriously? These guys could not organise a piss up in a brewery!

Having said that, thoughts on the phone. At first it did absolutely nothing, just blank screens when I try to add my online accounts. Turns out my 3G 'Mifi' was being overloaded by the update automatically downloading.

If I had one thing on my wish list right now it would be either the ability to record your own ring tones from mp3 etc or defaults which were less hippy dippy or wind chimey. Oh and it really needs a sat nav app, as there is no dedicated turn by turn mapping program on there.

It is taking a bit of getting used to the idea of a phone without a dedicated apps menu, for some reason I keep feeling the need to swipe for the taskbar and I'm trying to open the dash 'a la desktop'. But no doubt this will pass.

All in all it looks great and the only thing is really needs is further development of the app selection, but then we all knew that before it was announced didn't we?