On 3 May 2015 at 10:55, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:

> The packaging tutorial ends with:
>
> Basic DOs and Dont's for packaging for Commercial Applications
>
> DOs
>
> Please use /opt/<application_name>/ as your application root directory
>

> I have no idea if it is in $PATH but this is a stock install and I need
> this to just work on a stock install.

You can type 'echo $PATH' from a command line to find that out, but I would
think not. My desktop $PATH is this:

echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games

The convention is for commercial software to install in /opt but that would
appear to assume that you are building a fully fledged GUI-based
application that would be called from a desktop menu, not a command line.

Your immediate fix is to run 'export $PATH=$PATH:/opt' from a terminal but
I would change the install path to /usr/local.

s/

> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

Twitter: @sfgreenwood